In order to tailor information and advertising to your interest and relevance, we try to acquire an understanding of your likely interests on the basis of your visits and surfing behaviour on the Philips websites and other third party websites.. Based on these interests, we develop a segmented profile and then adapt the content and the advertisements on our website for various groups of customers.
Third parties that set cookies via our website may also try to find out what your interests are in this way, and this information may also be used to present you with content or advertisements that appear more likely to be of interest to you on other, non-Philips websites. In this case, the information about your current website visit may be combined with information from previous visits to websites other than ours.
Even if these cookies are not used, please note that you will be provided with advertisements on our site; however, these advertisements will not be tailored to your interests. These advertisements can, for instance, be modified according to the content of the website. You can compare this type of content-related Internet advertisements with advertising on television. If, say, you are watching a cookery programme on TV, you will often see an advertisement about cooking products during the advert breaks while this programme is on.
We may use targeted advertising cookies for:
- the websites to record your visit and, as a result, to assess your interests
- a check to be run to see if you have clicked on an advertisement
- keeping track of how many visitors click on an advertisement
- information about your surfing behaviour to be passed to other websites
- third-party services to be used to show you advertisements tailored to your needs, interests or preferences
- determining which advertisements, ad technologies and ad networks are most effective for us
- showing you advertisements about products you have previously clicked on, searched for or otherwise shown interest in (retargeting)
- keeping track of which advertisements you have already been shown so that you are not always shown the same ones
- more interesting advertisements to be displayed on the basis of your social media usage
- you to submit questions or reviews about our products and, on the basis thereof, be presented with advertisements more likely to be of interest to you
- reviews submitted by you to be repurposed as product recommendations on other pages
- you to be connected with online authorized retailers, to be informed about price, availability and purchase conditions of the Philips product of your interest and keep track of your purchase preferences
- determining which advertisements you clicked on, before performing a purchase on our website
- keeping track of how many orders are placed by way of the advertisement, as well as their monetary value
- you to receive direct marketing e-mails tailored to your interests (if you have opted-in to receive such e-mails) or direct marketing e-mails about similar products as those which you have already purchased (if you have not opted out of receiving such e-mails).
- matching multiple devices (e.g. phone, tablet, laptop) to a visitor so that it can be tracked if an ad on one device may have triggered an action (such as a purchase) on another device (known as ‘cross device tracking’).